parish registers location list
Hamstead Marshall

back to 
family history page
St Mary’s church
The parish registers for St Mary's Church date back to the sixteenth century, although the earliest years record only some wills. Christenings, marriages and burials begin in 1612, and there is a fairly complete run through to the present day. Some of these registers have been transcribed (with other parishes) onto CD by the Berkshire Family History Society, from whom they can be bought.

The burials register dates from the early seventeenth century, although interments have probably been made in St Mary's churchyard for much longer. The Rev Richard Jeans believed there to be a Saxon graveyard under the present one. Today, the oldest legible headstone reads 1666, and there are, of course many more graves than memorials. (A comparison between burial entries and monumental inscriptions for 1837 - 1901 suggests the former outnumber the latter by about 4 to 1.) The Craven Mausoleum in the churchyard was added in 1921 on the death of the fourth earl, and three of his relatives have been interred there since, the most recent being in 1974.

1675 - 1915  Berkshire Record Office (micro)
1915 -           incumbent
1612 - 1837  West Berks Library (typescript BTs + index)

1612 - 1837  West Berks Library (typescript BTs + index)
1675 - 1970  Berkshire Record Office (micro)
1971 -           incumbent

1754 – 1832  Berkshire Record Office (micro)

1612 - 1837  West Berks Library (typescript BTs+ index)
1675 – 1970   Berkshire Record Office (micro)
1813 –           incumbent
Monumental inscriptions
Handwritten index compiled in 1929; lacks clear grave location info, but includes some inscriptions no longer easily legible. Copies are held at:
                      Reading Reference Library
                      West Berks Library
                      Berks FHS Library

In 1836 the archdeaconry of Berkshire transferred from Salisbury diocese to that of Oxford, so some pre1836 diocesan records are to be found in Wiltshire and Swindon Archives.
Your comments and questions are welcome. Please send an email.
Copyright Penelope Stokes
4 December 2009