see also
900 years: an illustrated
architectural history
 of
St Mary's

More pictures of St Mary’s
in the
gallery

Services and events at St
Mary’s Church

A list of rectors of St
Mary’s since 1241
the ministry team
the benefice
St Mary's Church is a
medieval building, largely
unspoilt by Victorian
renovation, standing upon a
hill overlooking the river
Kennet.

The congregation is small
but friendly, and welcomes
all-comers to services,
which are held two or three
times a month.

The church is open at
service times and also at
times of special religious
significance (as indicated by
a "church open today" sign
outside).

At other times visitors may
gain access by contacting
one of the churchwardens
for a key. The locking-up of
the church is greatly
regretted, but it was made
necessary by a series of
burglaries some years ago.

The parochial church council
has recently set up a
website for St Mary’s
Church
 on which service
times and contacts may be
found.
The ecclesiastical parish of
Hamstead Marshall has since 1981
been part of a united benefice which
also includes Enborne, West
Woodhay, Inkpen and Combe. Since
2005 this benefice, and the separate
benefice of Kintbury with Avington,
have been jointly served by one
rector. Details of the Walbury
Beacon benefice can be seen on
www.walburybeaconbenefice.org.uk.
Rector:
Rev Rachel Lewis (01488 608400
or 07912 646040)


Associate priests:
Rev Sue Webster (01635 32708 or
07747 391291)

Rev Matthew Cookson (01488
669043)

Jenny Veasey

Churchwardens
Robin Althaus (01635 524346)
Andrew Hunter
Day-to-day management of St
Mary’s is the responsibility of the
parochial church council, which is
elected from a roll of regular church-
going parishioners. This roll is
maintained by Robin Althaus.
church and pillars from south.tif
beneficemap.jpg
The joint benefices fall
within the deanery of
Newbury, which in turn
comes under the suffragan
bishop of Reading. Overall,
the church in Hamstead
Marshall is administered by
the diocese of Oxford. (In
1836 this arrangement
replaced the historic
affiliation of Hamstead
Marshall with the diocese of
Salisbury.) For more
information on the diocese
of Oxford, which also
covers Oxfordshire and
Buckinghamshire, see the
diocesan website.
The map below shows the
configuration of the original
five parishes and Kintbury
with Avington (marked with
their initial letters), which
together occupy the
extreme south-west corner
of the county.
Hamstead Marshall
St Mary’s Church
 

what’s happening
noticeboard latest village news
what’s on upcoming village events
Hamstead Hornet quarterly news sheet

leisure and pleasure
getting around maps; public transport;
cycling; horse-riding

village admin

local history
A-Z of houses historical gazetteer

local history books

St Mary’s Church

open for business
community market, oil group, broadband

now take the tour...
gallery a choice of four slide shows of
village scenes past and present

Your comments and questions are welcome.
Copyright Penelope Stokes 2016